I am a huge proponent for adoption and foster care. Following and aiding in any way I can with foster care programs or adoption programs is one of my life’s passions. I feel that in someway I will always be involved in this amazing process to help children find the perfect family and families find the perfect child. No matter the age, everyone deserves a family around them.
As you may know, November is National Adoption Month. The Children’s Bureau initiative brings a lot of attention to children that await a permanent family and home. The Children’s Bureau initiative is closely supported by Child Welfare Information Gateway and AdoptUSKids. These organizations do amazing work and really shine a light on the need for adoption in the United States.
The initiative for this month has been focused around finding older youths a permanent home. The current slogan is “We Never Outgrow the Need for Family.” According to a recent study, youth ages 15-18 make up 5% of the foster care population. This population is currently pegged around 84,778 children. This period in a child’s life is absolutely critical to have a strong foundation to fall back on. The current initiative of focusing more intently on this age range will help decrease school dropout, violence, unemployment, homelessness, and interactions with the law. These children need a supportive family to help them excel and shoot for greatness and success.
For more video based information on National Adoption Month you can find a full gallery of clips on the Child Welfare website here. You can also find tons of more information on events, stories, webinars, and more from the links listed below.
- Explore the History of National Adoption Month
- View the We Never Outgrow the Need for Family illustration by AdoptUSKids
- Find information for adoption professionals, includingrecruiting families for older youth
- Browse information for prospective adoptive families onadopting older youth from foster care
- Hear firsthand stories of youth waiting for adoption
- Peruse examples of how agencies and communities canspread the word about National Adoption Month
- Read the 2014 Presidential Proclamation for National Adoption Month—2015 coming soon
- Read the Children’s Bureau Message
- Watch the Webinar – National Adoption Month 2015: We Never Outgrow the Need for Family
Thank you very much for reading and if you have any questions regarding adoption or foster care please use the contact form here!